Sunday, September 18, 2011

Never Give Up Hope

Happy Sunday!!!!  I hope you all had a wonderful weekend.  Ours was blissfully uneventful.  As you all know, this week marked Matt & I finally sharing our exciting news that we are expecting!  This blog post could get ridiculously out of control with what has been happening since we found out in July but I will condense it for mine and everyone else's sanity. 

After my surgery I did in fact meet with my fertility doctor in June.  Everything fell perfectly into place.  My next cycle was set to start a couple of days after my visit with the doctor which meant we were all set to go to start the IUI cycle.  So we anxiously started the process of the shots and endless ultrasounds and blood work.  All together it was about a 12 day process.  All that was left at the end of it was to wait.  Now we had been waiting for 3 years already to have a baby, so you would think that 2 weeks would be a piece of cake to me.  That was not the case...lol  By the time I got about 3 days away from my "am I pregnant or not" blood work I couldn't handle it anymore.  I had been on the Internet non-stop, and I knew that there was a risk of getting a false positive if I tested before my blood work but I just couldn't wait any longer.  On June 29th I woke up and decided that I was going to take a pregnancy test.  I fully expected it to be negative so when I took the test I went about my morning routine and then returned a little while later.  What I saw froze me in disbelief.  I just stood there staring down at the test and then up at my reflection in the mirror, not knowing if I should be excited or beating myself up for possibly just causing myself the biggest disappointment yet. 

It's amazing how two lines can make you happier than you've ever been.
Folks, I took 7 pregnancy tests over the next few days.  That's right, since the lab had messed up getting my blood test results to my doctor before the long 4th of July weekend I tested every day until that Tuesday when the nurse uttered the words I had been waiting to hear for so very long, "You're pregnant".  So on July 5th, almost 3 years exactly from the day we began trying Matt and I finally got the news that we were going to be parents.  In that one moment, all of the pain, frustration and tears suddenly disappeared.  Matt was there with me for the baby's first ultrasound and at that time it didn't even look like a baby, but that little blob was the greatest picture ever. 

Words cannot express what this picture meant to us.

The next few months have been a whirlwind.  The first time I heard the heartbeat I started crying.  I could listen to that sound all day.  Matt and I also made the decision to not tell everyone that we were expecting until I was through the first trimester.  We did make some exceptions and told our parent's and siblings and our two closest friends, Abby and Joe.  Even with giving ourselves permission to share with some it was so hard to contain our excitement and not tell everyone we saw.  Though some of our family didn't exactly follow the rule and shared anyway. ;-)  So, when I finally reached the Second Trimester we couldn't tell everyone fast enough.  Though it was hard to keep it in for so long it just extended the excitement for us by waiting to tell everyone. 

Now we move into the second trimester and all that it brings, including me having to wear a belly band so I can still wear my old pants...lol  Matt and I feel so blessed and though it took us a long time to get here, all that matters to us now is that we are finally to this point, and we couldn't be happier.

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to follow your pregnancy journey!! Congrats again :)

    ReplyDelete